Maria Lai was born in September 27th, 1919 in Ulassai.
At the age of three years, the parents decide to entrust uncles because of her poor health, and Maria will stay with them until the age of nine.
After a brief return to Ulassai, she moved to Cagliari, where she studied in college with her sister Giuliana.
In 1932 she enrolled at the Masters, where she will have as teacher Salvatore Cambosu, with which will establish a deep and lasting friendship.
In 1939 she decided to move to Rome to study at the Art School, where she attended the lessons of Marino Mazzacurati.
In 1943, because of the war he decides to leave Rome, and he moved to Venice to attend the Academy of Fine Arts with Arturo Martini.
In 1945 she flees headlong from Venice and after a short period in Verona back in Sardinia; in Cagliari from the following year at the Technical Institute teaches women until 1949.
In 1947 he knows in Cagliari Giuseppe Dessi.
She exhibited several times in Cagliari and then in 1957 he exhibited at the Gallery The Obelisk of Rome by Marcello Venturoli.
Up to 1961 you will receive significant success and recognition in Rome and Sardinia.
For about ten years there will be a period of silence, he continues to live in Rome but refuses to expose despite the constant stimuli of Marcello Venturoli, a great admirer of his work.
In 1971 he exhibited at the Galleria Schneider and Rome by Venturoli different frames.
Now begins a phase very prolific for his art, she exhibited in several museums and galleries and at the Venice Biennale in a group show curated by Mirella Bentivoglio.
In 1981 it takes place in Ulassai “Bind the mountain”, the collective performance for which he is best known today.
In 1982, the Way of the Cross for the church of Ulassai and Costantino Nivola, Strazza Guido and Luigi Veronesi the “Wash Ulassai”, completed in 1989 that will be worth.
In 1983 she is continuing with land management in Orotelli with “The hive of the poet”, a work dedicated to Salvatore Cambosu and “The defeat of the lizards” in Camerino in the province of Macereata.
Between 1992 and 1993 she made in Ulassai “The road of the rite”, “The goats sewn” and “slope”.
In 1993 she leaves Rome and settled in Cardedu.
In 1995 she began working with the theater company “Fueddu and Gestu” with the performance “Mary Stone”.
From 1999 to 2001 she devoted himself to the project for the Oil Museum of Sabina in New Castle Farfa.
From 2002 she made several interventions on the territory of Ulassai “Thoughts on art”, “The Wall tangle” (2004) and “The House of the concerns” (2005)
In 2004 she was awarded an honorary degree in Literature at the University of Cagliari for the stretch strongly narrative and conceptual of his work, which is realized, however, with traditional techniques, archaic.
On 8 July 2006 it was inaugurated in the old buildings of the former station Ulassai the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Art Station, with the donation of 140 works by the artist, the most significant of her career.
2009 is “The capture of the wing of the Wind” at the Ulassai wind farm.
In 2011 she won the prestigious “Award Chamber of Deputies for the 150th anniversary of Italy” with the work “Footprints of laws.”
In 2012 she participates with its own space in Pulse “International Fair of Contemporary Art” in Miami.
She died in Cardedu on April 16 of 2013.
Da “La ricerca della forma assoluta”, M.D. Picciau